"H. S. Teoh" <hst...@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:mailman.824.1329867308.20196.digitalmar...@puremagic.com...

> You can do:
>
> program_name >/dev/null 2>&1 &
>
> That will silence everything. But yeah, too much typing, too much
> obscure stdout/stderr redirecting for a newbie to even begin to dream
> that such things are possible.
>
> A good default behaviour (for the app writer) is to fork() at startup,
> detach from pty in child, and then exit parent.  A couple o' programs do
> this.

Clever, I like it! I'm gonna try to remember that next time I start doing
desktop-GUI stuff again.

> I'm pretty sure this is common knowledge, just that nobody bothers to do
> it. But I can dream. :)

It's news to me, but then again, I'm far from being a Linux veteran.

There are a *lot* of things to know about in Linux, though, and there's no
standard learner's curriculum. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of
experienced Linux users that don't know at least one or two "basic" things.
Hell I bet my knowledge is probably a mix of "some of the basics" and "some
of the advanced".