On Friday, 2 March 2012 at 10:01:32 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
"Peter Alexander" <peter.alexander...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It's defined. The operating system protects you. You get a segfault on *nix and
an access violation on Windows.

False.

[snip]

You only get an error if there is a memory access involved (vtable, member data etc.)

It _is_ defined, you get an access violation whenever there's a dereference. Yes, you can call some types of member functions without any dereferences,
but this is alse well defined and sometimes quite useful.

Ok, if it is defined, then please tell me what the defined behaviour of my code snippet is.