If you're dealing with plugins from an unknown source, it's a good design to separate plugins and such as entirely separate processes. Then, when one goes down, it cannot bring down anyone else, since there is no shared address space.

They can communicate with the OS-supplied interprocess communications API.

Yes I think this is a good idea in general but the process/IPC overhead can be substantial if you have a lot of (small) plugins. I think Google chrome uses this trick (among others) to good effect in providing fault tolerance ( http://www.geekosystem.com/google-chrome-hacking-prize/ ).