On 3/6/12 8:58 PM, Ary Manzana wrote:
On Tuesday, March 06, 2012 17:38:09 Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
writeln(time.toISOExtendedString()); // bzzt, wrong, but this
used to work!

Yes, and it was quickly changed to toISOExtString, because
toISOExtendedString
is painfully long. toISOExtString is bad enough, but you can't really
make it
any shorter without making the name uninformative.

Nope, apparently, I meant "dur". Ridiculous.

A Duration needs to be constructed with a template, and
duration!"hours"(13),
duration!"seconds"(44), etc. is painfully long when used in
expressions. So,
it was shortened to dur. I don't know of any other abbreviation which
would
make sense.

Painfully long?

How much time does it take you to type 5 more chars? How much time does
it take you to understand "dur" when you read it instead of "duration"?

Also, it becomes long because it has a weird syntax, that either way is going to be hard to read. In Ruby (with active support) I can just do:

44.seconds

Why D doesn't do the same if it has UFCS? (I hope I got the acronym well)