Is this basically like saying it'll never happen?
There is already a pending pull request implementing the syntax, that
addresses half of the feature straight up.. codegen can come later, I
agreed earlier that it is of lesser importance.
You don't see the immediate value in a convenient MRV syntax? It would
improve code clarity in many places, and allow the code to also be more
efficient down the road.

The tuple unpacking feature has nothing to do with MRV.
Please don't conflate them, it creates a lot of confusion.

Using registers to full extend look really nice but there
are some reasons MRV is not going to happen any time soon.

- Departing from platform ABI's will put us on an isle
  where we need our own compiler backends, debuggers and
  maybe even linkers and OSes.

- Your favorite compiler should be great at inlining so
  chained function calls could have ZERO overhead passing
  return values.

- It is not very efficient to combine MRV with tuples that
  have a contiguous memory layout. Instead of in-place NRVO
  this would be 'callee stack->registers->caller stack'.