"H. S. Teoh" <hst...@quickfur.ath.cx> wrote in message
news:mailman.601.1331619011.4860.digitalmar...@puremagic.com...
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 01:37:24AM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> [...]
>> Yea, there's a lot of things that are much better done in CSS that a
>> lot of people don't even know about. For example, most rollovers are
>> easily doable in pure CSS. But there's a lot stuff out there
>> (paricularly things created in Adobe's "software") that use JS for
>> rollovers, which doesn't even work as well (even with JS on).
>
> Ugh. Don't get me started on Adobe. I don't know what they do to their
> programmers, but obviously UI design is not part of their staff
> training. Have you seen acrobat reader's UI? It's utterly atrocious.
> Completely counterintuitive, and an embarrassment to modern UI design.
> And that's their product line. Don't even mention their website.

Yea, I have a *very* low opinion of Adobe's products in general. They can
barely get anything right, and that's on top of their sky-high prices. Each
CS is more absurdly bloated than the last, and uses weirder and weirder
skins, and Adobe clearly has zero understanding of security. I don't "hate"
Adobe like I hate some other companies, but I consider their output to
mostly be garbage and I hate dealing with their products (and
documentation).

It's a shame they no longer have *really good* competition, like Paint Shop
Pro which used to compete toe-to-toe with Photoshop and at a much lower
price (until Corel bought it and drive it straight into the ground along
with the rest of Corel's products). I use GIMP, but it's uhh...kind of a
"gimpy" program (aptly-named).

Have you heared of the Corona SDK? It's not technically made by Adobe
but...I'll put it this way: Corona does intially come across as fairly
slick. But then you compare it to one of their competitors, Marmalade SDK,
and despite Marmalade's lack of "slickness", you quickly realize that
Marmalade was made by and for grownups, while Corona...is basically just an
overpriced toy in grown-ups clothing. *After* I came to that conclusion, I
discovered the company which makes Corona, surprise surprise, was founded by
former higher-ups from Adobe's Flash dept. Go figure. Flash, which can
*also* be accurately described as "an overpriced toy in grown-ups clothing".