On 16/03/2012 04:27, James Miller wrote:
On 16 March 2012 17:14, Brad Anderson<e...@gnuk.net>  wrote:
I have a pending pull request
<https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/d-programming-language.org/pull/98>
which adds an "Improve this page" button to the upper right corner all pages
on the website.  From the pull request description: "It essentially turns
the website into a moderated wiki. How it works is for each page it links to
a special URL on GitHub that will offer to fork the repository, open an
online text editor, and create a pull request in one easy process."

It's meant for simple changes (typos, rewording stuff, minor bugs in code
examples, etc.). I got the idea after using the GitHub online editor myself
to make website and Phobos documentation change pull requests and finding it
to be very easy way to contribute. Even people who are unfamiliar with git
can use it.

Andrei seemed to like it when I showed him but asked me to get Walter and
whoever else's opinions on it before he'd be willing to merged it.

You can try a live demo here: http://gnuk.net/d/index.html

Clicking the button will open the appropriate file in an editor on GitHub.
Feel free to click the button to see what the editor is like. Nothing
happens until you choose to submit your changes at which point it lets you
enter a pull request description, then it finally makes the request.

This would probably have been difficult to implement if it weren't for Ddoc
so +1 for Ddoc.

Regards,
Brad Anderson

Seems ok, though the styling isn't amazing, maybe tone the size of the
buttons down.

Also, Github does not exactly give a useful message when you aren't
logged in (404), but that isn't your fault.

--
James Miller

I think it looks fine and it's a great idea. At least for those of us with git hub accounts.

--
My enormous talent is exceeded only by my outrageous laziness.
http://www.ssTk.co.uk