On Thursday, 22 March 2012 at 00:30:51 UTC, Nathan M. Swan wrote:
As I posted a while back, the concept of a variant message queue is wonderful and powerful, and the implementation is great. But the fact that you can't declare "auto mq = new MessageQueue()" is a gaping whole in an otherwise A+ API.

Nice to hear that I'm not alone with that opinion – I hit the same problem when implementing a request log file writer for Thrift, which runs in a separate thread and communicates with the main thread via a message queue.

It works great and performed even better than a similar C++ version due to lower lock contention, but the user'd better not try to call receiveOnly!() from »his« thread…

David