On Sunday, 8 April 2012 at 01:18:49 UTC, Jay Norwood wrote:
in it. Same 3.7 second delete. I'll have to analyze what is happening, but this is a huge improvement. If it is just the sequential LCN order of the operations, it may be that I can just pre-sort the delete operations by the file lcn number and get similar results.

I ran rmd in the debugger to look at the order of entries being returned from the depth first search. The directory entry list returned is sorted alphabetically the same whether or not the sortByName() defrag script has been executed.

This article confirms that directory entries are sorted alphabetically.

"Directory entries are sorted alphabetically, which explains why NTFS files are always printed alphabetically in directory listings."

I'll have to write something to dump the starting lcn for each directory entry and see if the sortByName defrag is matching the DirEntries list exactly.