On 2012-04-10 04:21, Ary Manzana wrote:

In fact, I think Walter and company should stop working on the current
DMD codebase and start all over again. The code, as I see it, is a big
mess. Now that the spec is more or less "clear" and not many new
features are added, I think this is the time to do it.

I think so as well.

Actually, nobody has to wait Walter. The community could just start
writing a D compiler in D, host it in github and work with pull
requests... something like what Rubinius has done with Ruby.

Though you might think it'll be harder to catch up with language
changes, if the code has a better design I think introducing new changes
should be much easier than in DMD's current codebase.

Yeah, it will be easier to add changes if the compiler has a better design, but you still need to catch up with the reference implementation.

--
/Jacob Carlborg