On Tuesday, 10 April 2012 at 10:38:28 UTC, James Miller wrote:
* Marco Leise <marco.le...@gmx.de> [2012-04-10 05:57:52 +0200]:

Am Tue, 10 Apr 2012 12:50:32 +1200
schrieb James Miller <ja...@aatch.net>:

> Slightly OT: With the unstoppable march of parallel > programming, does
> anybody else find node.js incredibly infuriating, since it is
> single-core.

Don't blame the library. EcmaScript was designed to be single-core. I imagine that web scripting language to be much more complex with multi-threading in user code. You are using the wrong tool for the job ;)

--
Marco

I meant that the fact that node.js is gaining popularity, despite the fact that we want to move away from single-threaded applications, is
incredibly backwards.

I'm not using node, I have to use PHP at work, which at the very least
gets help from the webserver in terms of parallel processing.

--
James Miller

I haven't used it, but node.js has clusters
(http://nodejs.org/docs/v0.6.0/api/cluster.html) which often
should be just as good.

But performing I/O using single-threaded asynchronous I/O instead
of threaded blocking I/O is a huge win in terms of performance -
it would just be nice to have threading on top to do the number
crunching work.