On Tuesday, 10 April 2012 at 16:28:52 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Hello,

Mentoring a GSoC project on D is a great way to make a lasting positive impact on the language. It is hard but rewarding work. Please consider applying, and ask here any questions you might have.

Thanks,

Andrei

My main conserns are,

I don't have any experience in truely managing a project with goals.
Many things will go over my head

But it would probably be great learning and start for getting this experiance. And for others interested in reading more:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/what-makes-a-good-mentor/

I think evaluation could be challenging to decide what criteria would create failure. Does the evaluation form ask questions that make this choice easier?

I'll consider submitting an official request.