On Friday, 20 April 2012 at 09:55:04 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

It's funny, I once argued strongly in favor of this *against* Walter. I lost of course ;) IIRC, his argument was that it would require perfect flow analysis and that's too difficult and expensive. My argument was that it didn't need to be, and perhaps even *shouldn't* be, perfect. He felt that would end up being a PITA with false errors, and I felt that C# demonstrates
it isn't a PITA.  Meh, I don't want to re-debate it though.

Yeah, I am aware of Walter's previous statements on this. I think it's ridiculous that he wants his language inferior to virtually every one of its modern contemporaries in this aspect based on implementation issues. I like D's well-defined default-initialization and I think it's great for global storage, TLS and class/struct fields, but I think local variables require a hybrid approach. It doesn't matter if the implementation isn't perfect; it's better than the alternative, which is our current abysmal situation.