On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 01:09:25 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 01:31:32AM +0200, SomeDude wrote:
[...]
The other thing that would make it attractive among the C++
developers, would be the development of a lightweight, high
performance, minimal library that doesn't use the GC at all. Ideally, it would be compatible with Phobos. I bet if such a library existed,
flocks of C++ developers would suddenly switch to D.

I know the current GC leaves much room for improvement, but what's the hangup about the GC anyway? If -- and yes this is a very big if -- the GC has real-time guarantees, would that make it more palatable to C++ devs? Or is it just because they have trouble with the idea of having a
GC in the first place?

Real time guarantees on a GC is not something we are going to offer anytime soon anyway. While a minimal library, loosely based on the C standard library, with some more bells and whistles that could be borrowed from Phobos, this is a goal that is achievable in a foreseeable future. And both game developers and embedded programmers would be interested.