On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 23:54:36 UTC, Peter Alexander wrote:

It matters when you have things that imitate pointers (e.g. smart pointers). Those will have their own members, separate from the pointee's members, so ptr.foo could refer to the smart pointer's members or the pointee's members.

So basically, for your very specific issue, you want to ditch a syntax that 99% of people actually prefer. I must say you are the very first person I see *anywhere* who actually complains about the . notation and would rather go back to ->.