On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 23:50:22 UTC, foobar wrote:
On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 21:02:25 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
* di files - a library should encapsulate all the info required to use it. Java Jars, .Net assemblies and even old school; Pascal
units all solved this long ago.

I agree with the general notion here. Whatever the actual implementation details are, the API should be strongly tied to the binary in order to insure consistency and ease of use. I shouldn't need to worry if the header files match the binary library. Regarding the human readable API - that's why we have documentation for.

Mmm well the main reason I see using .di files, is cases when the input library/file/dll doesn't give you much or any information. like... most dll's today. There's also tools to strip that extra debugging and structure information from your output file, so if you distribute a binary only, you still need to include it's .h file or .di file.

Cases where this would be far more relevant could be in systems that don't have a lot of room (mini-distros or recovery disks for example). I've seen a recovery disk distro with everything you needed 2 floppies disks. Only reason I don't use floppies anymore is the ones being made are crap and don't keep data where as 14 years ago I could accidentally put mine through the wash and still access it's contents. (Cheap bastards)