On 28-04-2012 23:18, SomeDude wrote:
On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 21:05:12 UTC, q66 wrote:
On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 20:50:30 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 09:22:59PM +0200, q66 wrote:
[...]
- AAs integrated in the language; you barely ever use AA literals and
having them purely in Phobos would help get rid of the runtime fat, as
well as better implementations

On the contrary, AA's are a major reason I started programming in D. In
this day and age, it's simply inexcusable to *not* have some kind of
hash type available by default.

Besides AA literals, library can handle this JUST FINE.

Yeah, but core language AA are so useful it would be a MAJOR mistake to
remove them. In Python too, you could put the AA in the libraries. Yet
everybody uses the AA that are in the language.

Where I DO agree with you is, Phobos should be a two level library, i.e
a minimalistic library, with about the same feature set as the standard
C library + multithreading, and a superset with the full range of
features (ranges, algorithms, etc). I've already advocated it somewhere
else.

Let's get a standard package manager that we either advocate on dlang.org or include in the releases before we start talking about reducing the amount of modules in Phobos.

--
- Alex