On Sunday, 29 April 2012 at 20:00:27 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:

Let's get a standard package manager that we either advocate on dlang.org or include in the releases before we start talking about reducing the amount of modules in Phobos.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to reduce the amount of modules in Phobos. I think it's a great standard library. A little bit buggy in some places, and lacks a few important features (that are in the review queue), but great overall. I fear the risk with a package system is, having some parts of Phobos not being correctly maintained with time. And I want to be able to have the whole thing with a single download. No, my concern was, for smaller applications, in embedded systems for instance (Android, iOS, etc), there is not really a small basic library. So I would think of a two level standard library, one on top of the other. OTOH, Jonathan Davis made the remark that we can always use the C lib and its bindings, so this mostly satisfies my concern.