Mehrdad:
Now it's impossible to figure out whether a ParameterTypeTuple contains an HWND versus an HGDIOBJ or whatever...

this should really be fixed...

typedef is a quite useful feature, but the one present in D was unsound/broken, especially in presence of OOP. Fixing language features is hard (people didn't seem to understand that typedef is not meant to be used with classes), once their semantics is defined, it's quite hard to fix it. But adding features to D/Phobos is much simpler. So once there is a clear and sound design for what this feature has to do and its semantics, I expect to see in D a way to do the same things. Currently the Typedef in Phobos is more broken than the built-in typedef. Here the Ada language is a good reference to copy from. So the idea of removing typedef was good iff we eventually have something good to replace it.

Bye,
bearophile