On Monday, 7 May 2012 at 17:17:55 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
Nothing in this whole thread seems to be very useful. I don't know how else to answer your post except -- sorry, we're not going to change it.

Okay.

Though you'd be a lot more convincing if you could give an example of how typedef was causing problems previously.

I've asked that question several times, but no one's ever given me an actual *example* or two of the problems. If I saw one then obviously I'd understand why it was removed...

It's hard to see where you are coming from. You have mentioned that doing Windows low-level programming is hard on most platforms except for C. Well, if C made it easy, why not duplicate what they did?

I don't understand your response or where you got that idea, but I don't think my response would be very interesting even if I did...

1) pull request. I'm sure a pull request that makes more correct semantic decisions on implicit casting of HANDLEs would be accepted.

I'm busy right now but perhaps next week -- I'll try and see. (Haven't done one before so I may or may not succeed..)

2) Make your own types. You are free to not use standard/existing libraries.

Yes, and I can write the rest of Phobos from scratch as well...

Given that you want to write an *entire toolkit*, I doubt anyone gives a shit whether your low-level code works with standard phobos-defined HANDLE types.

I don't either, so you're definitely right about that.
Especially because I really doubt my library's gonna turn out very useful anyway, even if all this was perfect.

I meant fixing the library solution so it *does* work how you want. In other words, "bringing back typedefs" isn't going to happen. It's not a solution that is practical, or likely.

Yup, I'd love to know what the problems were though. (See the first part of the post.)

But making std.typecons.TypeDef work *is* a valid path to get what you want (typedefs that work like they used to). If that isn't possible, let's fix the language constructs that are blocking it!

Okay, at least the road is clear now.

No I mean it's completely false that fixing HWND means we have to fix size_t. size_t is not broken in any way, HWND is, and I agree we need a solution that works.

Lol, ok, another case of miscommunication then.