However, I think these examples are misleading and do not prove the point. It
shows IMO more that you are better off declaring the type on the left if your
code depends on it always staying the same.

i.e. this does not have that problem:

real r = 1L;

I tend to agree. If you're declaring things with 'auto', then you should not be relying on a specific type being inferred from the initializer - that would be poor style. Use of auto implies your code is more generic and adaptable to whatever type the initializer turns out to be.

If your usage of r requires it to be a specific type, it should be declared as having that type.