On Wednesday, May 09, 2012 22:00:45 Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 May 2012 at 19:58:14 UTC, Michaël Larouche wrote:
> > What if I want to submit a change or a fix to the langage that
> >
> > require to change the backend too ?
>
> There's nothing stopping that right now!
>
> The only thing the backend license really prohibits is
> distributing it yourself.
>
> Doing a personal fork, modifying it, and doing a pull
> request or a patch back upstream happens in practice
> somewhat normally.

Yeah. The lack of open sourceness for the backend is pretty much complete FUD.
No, you can't redstribute it yourself, but it's completely open for viewing,
editing, and contributing. And since _other_ backends exist, even if dmd were
to die tomorrow, it wouldn't make it so that D would die (as huge a blow as
that would be). I wish that people would just stop bringing up the "fact" that
dmd isn't open source. It just seeds confusion and doesn't help anyone.

- Jonathan M Davis