Am 12.05.2012 08:53, schrieb SomeDude:
On Saturday, 12 May 2012 at 06:19:37 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

I do have to say that I find it somewhat funny that this is your set of
requirements for an IDEA and yet "integrated debugger" is in the "some
'nice
to have' features" section. Doesn't an IDE _have_ to have an integrated
debugger or it's only a code editor (since it lacks the whole
integrated part
of Integrated Development Environment).

- Jonathan M Davis

Indeed, and Timon forgot the best feature of IDEs for bytecode compilers
imho: they compile in the background, so that errors are detected while
you type. There is no annoying "write-correct" cycle as compile-time
errors are shown in real time. That's a *huge* productivity boost.
It's actually better than with interpreted or scripted languages,
because once you've finished writing code, it will run ! Basically, with
modern IDEs, the productivity with languages like Java/C# is comparable
to Python.

Background compiling shouldn't be too hard to implement for an editor, I
guess: run the compiler in background on the current module every other
second (or only when a set of simple syntaxic conditions like
parentheses/accolades matching are matched, conditions which can easily
be checked by the editor itself), and display the error messages in semi
real time on screen where they appear.

Even Eclipse and VS do this, to certain extent, for C and C++.

Nowadays, my use of VIM and Emacs is relegated to quick edit of configuration files and small scripts.

--
Paulo