On 05/12/2012 11:37 AM, Manu wrote:
On 12 May 2012 12:26, Timon Gehr <timon.g...@gmx.ch
<mailto:timon.g...@gmx.ch>> wrote:

    On 05/12/2012 10:13 AM, Manu wrote:

        On 11 May 2012 21:28, Mehrdad <wfunct...@hotmail.com
        <mailto:wfunct...@hotmail.com>
        <mailto:wfunct...@hotmail.com <mailto:wfunct...@hotmail.com>>__>
        wrote:

            Yes, I agree, but consider that D users should NOT have to
        work with
            pointers to do something so basic

        I'd like to think this were true, but the fact that 'ref' barely
        works
        makes this almost immediately false when trying to write any
        non-trivial
        program.

    It depends on the coding style.

If the distinction is whether one likes to have data structures in their
code or not,

Classes and dynamic arrays can be used to build data structures as well, so whether or not you usually use pointers is a matter of style. (FWIW, I use them too.)

I reckon there's a reasonably large user base in the former? :)
Once you use 'struct' you can't avoid pointers, given that ref just
doesn't work in many (perhaps most) situations.

The assertion was

"Yes, I agree, but consider that D users should NOT *have to* work with pointers *to do something so basic*"