On Tue, 15 May 2012 11:43:42 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <seewebsitetocontac...@semitwist.com> wrote:

I'm well aware that it's deliberate, but it's still anti-competetive,
asinine and anachronistic. And it's not as if the whole hosting thing isn't
worth anything. That is, after all, what they *do*.

Wait, can't you just git clone the data into whatever "github-like" service you wish? I mean, yeah, you cannot do pull requests to Phobos unless you have your code in github, but that could just be a simple intermediate step.

I recently switched all my private repositories from github to bitbucket (free unlimited private repositories vs. $12/mo for 10 private repositories), and bitbucket actually has a page to suck the code from github *directly* I didn't even have to do the git-clone-locally-then-push-to-other-remote dance. Probably the easiest service change of anything in my entire life! It took all of 5 minutes.

So if you like bitbucket, use that, if you like github use that, if you like something else, use that. But if you want to contribute to a project, you have to use whatever that project uses. I think that's both very reasonable and very flexible.

-Steve