On 15/05/12 04:16, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
I firmly believe that GitHub/BitBucket/etc-style features need to be
standard *protocols*, not features bundled inseparably to project hosting.
What the hell is this, 1980 all over again where data is routinely tied
inseparably to the software it originated from?

Whatever your opinion of GitHub etc. (and I agree that it makes sense for there to be a well-defined set of interaction protocols), the key point is surely that dedicated code-hosting and collaboration platforms can provide a much better service than individual projects' self-hosted repositories.

Where dsource.org is concerned probably the best thing to do is make it a carefully-maintained directory of active projects, without hosting, issue tracking, etc. included (of course, existing repos should be kept in place to avoid data loss). It's unlikely to be much pain for the projects, who can be given plenty of notice to migrate.

As it stands it makes D look quite dead and derelict, when that's not the case at all.