On Tue, 22 May 2012 15:29:10 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu <seewebsiteforem...@erdani.org> wrote:

I agree, it's unsound. But so is this:

int *blah = void;

*blah = 5;

It doesn't mean that the language should forbid it, or that the compiler
isn't implemented as designed.

Initialization with void is a feature. My example shows the fail of a feature. There is no comparison.

Your example shows an invalid use for a feature. There are valid uses for that feature that are not unsound.

But I think we are on the same page -- the misfeature is not that you *can* take a member address, it's the *type* that it is given.

At the *very least*, the address to member function operation should be
illegal in @safe code.

It should be verboten. Other means should be devised for achieving whatever utility is there.

I agree, the feature is prone to error.

-Steve