On Fri, 25 May 2012 01:30:03 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <seewebsitetocontac...@semitwist.com> wrote:

"David Nadlinger" <s...@klickverbot.at> wrote in message
news:fvvzmqelefzdwdsoo...@forum.dlang.org...
On Thursday, 24 May 2012 at 21:10:44 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
"Steven Schveighoffer" <schvei...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
at least the taskbar is a user preference (and I'm pretty sure you can
revert that),

It isn't, and you can't.

I've checked all over, internet search, etc. If you're on Win7, you have
the
Win7 dock, period.

What exactly is wrong with the Windows 7 »dock« set to minimal height,
Aero off, and the grouping options adjusted to your liking?

Off the top of my head:

- Quicklaunch icons are all jumbled together with the running programs. Why
MS felt that forcing *less* organization on *everyone* by cloning Apple's
retarded dock (which itself was just a cheap imitation of the Win taskbar)
was a good idea is beyond me.

You can re-enable the old quicklaunch bar.

I love the new style, and was glad when Ubuntu started doing it.

- Titlebar text is not shown on the buttons for the running programs. (This
*might* be changable though - I can't remember).

I think you can enable this.

- Trying to have a taskbar with more than one row works like shit. The
different rows are all completely misaligned (it's all a big total mess),

I don't know about this, I haven't tried it.

- Useless, giant, distracting, popup thumbnails (which you can't even
distringuish between at a glance anyway) *every* fucking time I move the
mouse near (let alone try to use) the taskbar.

This is quite an exaggeration. I frequently use these, and they only activate if you hover over the buttons, not "near" them. I can distinguish usually, and if I can't, you can hover over the thumbnails, and it shows you the actual window in question with all other windows made transparent.

I find this feature is *vastly* superior to the old "group all buttons together into one taskbar button, then pop a list of the titles" mechanism.

Also, sort of related to the win dock, but not technically part of it - I
was very impressed with the in-set "All Programs" list...until I actually
tried it. I *just don't like it*. It slows me down every time. It feels like reading a book through a keyhole. And MS won't even *let* me have my old way
back.

You mean you don't just start typing the program name you want and have it appear? I haven't browsed programs in a long time.

It's all just, "You're *going* to like our objectively superior design, or you can just fuck off." Ie, they've adopted Apple's (and Mozilla's) #1 core
value. No, fuck *you*, Win7/Vista.

Can't please everybody, and it's really difficult to design and support a product that is configurable enough to try and please everybody.

I'd guess that a high majority of users for windows 7 like the new interface better than XP.

-Steve