On Thu, 31 May 2012 11:36:47 +0200, Sandeep Datta <datta.sand...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I was going through some sample code online and came across the following code fragment...

listenHttp(settings, &handleRequest); //Where handleRequest is a function

My question to you is (as the title says) is the address-of operator (&) really needed here? Wouldn't it be better to consider handleRequest to be a reference to the actual function? I think this will make the system consistent with the way variables work in D. IMO this will bring functions/delegates closer to being first class objects in D.

What do you think?

It might be because of historical reasons.
A long time ago, D allowed calling functions without (), so what if handleRequest returns a function?
Should the passed reference be handleRequest or handleRequest()?
This issue is still valid for properties as they can be called without ().