On 2012-07-18 10:08, Dejan Lekic wrote:
There are several places for D module system to improve.
One thing we discussed in the past is the versioning, and as far as I
remember, we did not come to any constructive conclusion.

Java has been criticised often for not having modules. Apparently Java 9
SE will have them, and in my humble opinion, Java 9 module system is
going to be far more powerful (or perhaps better word would be USEFUL)
than what D currently has.

More about Java Jigsaw:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mr/jigsaw/notes/jigsaw-big-picture-01

Why is this better? - Speaking from a (senior) software engineer point
of view, Java Jigsaw is engineered for large systems where versioning,
module-dependency, and module-restrictions are very important.

I do not like few things about Jigsaw, but most of the things they plan
there simply make sense, especially the versioning and
module-restrictions, which I urge D developers to take a look and come
up with something similar for D2 or D3... This is extremely useful, and
will be even more useful once we have shared libraries where we can have
N different shared libraries that contain the same module, but different
version of it...

Kind regards

Something like: https://github.com/jacob-carlborg/orbit/wiki/Orbit-Package-Manager-for-D

--