On Friday, July 27, 2012 16:05:07 Kagamin wrote:
> On Friday, 27 July 2012 at 01:45:35 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > It's a useful construct when used
> > properly. It just shouldn't be used when there are better
> > alternatives.
>
> Hmm... do you have a use case besides Duff's device and porting
> legacy code?

There's quite a bit of code out there which uses it to jump to a common set of
error handling code, which can actually make functions cleaner in some cases.
Phobos even does this a few places (though not many).

Also, as I understand it, there are cases in low level code (where you need
every cycle that you can get) that using a goto to get out of a section of
code can be more efficient than getting out of it in the ways that you would
more typically do. I haven't personally run into that sort of thing though,
since I don't generally write code that low level.

And just because you or I don't use it much, doesn't mean that people
programming in other domains don't need it for use cases that we never run
into. goto is just one of those things that a systems language is bound to
have.

- Jonathan M Davis