On 26/07/12 09:05, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 2012-07-25 22:39, Rainer Schuetze wrote:

What is the state of the missing exception handling for Windows?

I just read an old post on the Clang mailing list, it's not looking
good. It seems Microsoft (or someone else) has a patent on SEH,

I've heard this, but does anyone know what patent is being referred to? Several times I've heard mention of an old one by Borland, which Microsoft bought. The Borland patent is not a patent on SEH, it's basically a patent on using a thunk. I suspect it is extremely unlikely to be a valid patent, for sure there is prior art. And the only reason for implementing it with a thunk anyway, is as a workaround for the broken thread-local support in Windows prior to Vista.

It's not difficult to implement SEH without violating that patent (which is due to expire soon anyway). Is there some other patent that people are referring to?

which
basically means: never gonna happen. An alternative could be
setjmp/longjmp. On 64bit it looks a bit better, where the correct way
seems to be to use the Win64 exception ABI.

Win64 SEH is scarcely any different to Win32 SEH, it's just better documented. You can do the same thing on Win32.

http://clang-developers.42468.n3.nabble.com/LLVM-Clang-and-setjmp-longjmp-exception-handling-on-MinGW-td3407322.html

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1eyas8tf.aspx

The situation makes no sense to me.