On Friday, 3 August 2012 at 03:14:14 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 8/2/12 10:40 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
To reiterate another point, since we are in the compiler business, people will expect std.d.lexer to be of top quality, not some bag on the side. It needs to be usable as a base for writing a professional quality compiler. It's the reason why I'm pushing much harder on this than I do
for other modules.

The lexer must be configurable enough to tokenize other languages than D. I confess I'm very unhappy that there seem to be no less than three people determined to write lexers for D. We're wasting precious talent and resources doubly. Once, several people are working in parallel on the same product. Second, none of them is actually solving the problem that should be solved.

I agree and I hope the three can combine their efforts with the best ideas of each.

If the other guys think they've got it, then I can withdraw my
efforts. I was just thinking I had a lexer just sitting around,
may as well use it, but if the other guys have it, then I'm fine
with withdrawing.