I suppose I have a more pragmatic view, due to my background in non-computer engineering.

    It's all like that.

There are a couple of good reasons for that.

1. Not every engineer is a rock star. In fact, very few of them are. I tend to snicker at companies that insist they only hire the top 1%. It seems that about 90% of the engineers out there must be in that top 1% <g>.

2. It costs too much money to do perfect engineering. You wouldn't be able to afford those products. Do you have $10,000 to spend on a tablet?

That said, our engineering tools and methodologies are improving all the time (what we're doing with D is improving programming methodology) which reduces the defect rate. Industry responds to this with heaping on more capability, which adds more (subtler) bugs back in.

If you don't think things are getting better all the time, take apart a car built in the 1960's, and compare the fit, finish, and problems with that of a modern car. Now, I love those old cars, but let's get real. Modern cars are enormously better. They're still loaded with problems, but different ones.

(For an example, my truck is over 20 years old, and has never had a tuneup. No new spark plugs, no new distributor, etc. I just turn the key, and it goes. It's quite amazing. My experience with cars from the 1960's is they require continuous work to keep running, even when they were new.)

Software is a lot better, too. It really is.