On Friday, 21 September 2012 at 11:40:54 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Friday, September 21, 2012 13:14:56 Jonas Drewsen wrote:
Maybe I wasn't clear in my suggestion. The new syntax in simply a way to define a templated function - not a non-templated one ie:

auto foo(a,b) {}
is exactly the same as
auto foo(A,B)(A a, B b) {}

So all it does is save you a few characters? I don't think that that's even vaguely worth it. It complicates the language and doesn't add any
functionality whatsoever.

Correct. The same with foreach where you also just save some characters but it is darn nice anyway.

And when you consider that it then makes it _harder_ to quickly see that a function is templated, and it potentially makes it easier to accidentally templatize a function, I think that it's a net loss even without considering the fact that it complicates the language further. And _with_ considering it,
I think that it's definitely more trouble than it's worth.

Fair enough.

-Jonas