On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 06:59:55PM -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
[...]
> > There is a general assumption by many applications/websites that
> > *everyone* uses facebook.
>
> I know! And it's not just software, it's all business in general. They
> noticed that it's popular so they think that means "nearly everyone
> uses it" when the reality is that even as popular as it is, it's still
> only a *minority* of internet users. Same with twitter.

Huh. I must've been living in a cave. Last I heard, facebook must've hit
90% market saturation, 'cos *everyone* I know has facebook (or pretty
close to everyone). I'm not among the 90%, though, and never intend to
be. :)

Usually when I run into a website that asks for facebook login, I hit
ctrl-W by instinct and don't even flinch. When I run into an app that
asks for facebook login, 99% of the time I just delete it without
thinking twice.  And it's not just facebook, it's anything that
*requires* signing up for some kind of social networking site. Making it
an option is OK, I don't care if other people want to post their latest
Doodle Jump score to their stream of inanity, all power to them, but
*requiring* it to use an app that doesn't logically need it? Plonk.
Nagging me about it after I said no the first time? Plonk.

[...]
> > Besides, my wife is on facebook, and if any important news happens
> > via FB, she'll tell me :)
> >

> Heh. Similar situation here. My brother and sister are both on it, so
> I'll catch wind of any family news from FB. My parents, like me,
> aren't on FB either so they get the same benefit, too, although they
> usually hear much sooner I do ;)

Me too. My wife has FB, and that's good enough for me.

Sad to say, though, I got suckered into signing up for Google+. Every
now and then (like once a month or less) I post something, but mostly I
don't even bother logging on. Most of the stuff on it is pretty inane
anyway. Y'know, your typical "what I ate for breakfast", "how many hairs
fell into my bathroom sink this morning" and other such content-free
posts that are a total waste of time to read. There *are* times when
it's useful, like when you're going abroad and have friends who can let
you crash in their place for a night or two -- but generally speaking,
the signal-to-noise ratio is very low.

That's not a bug; that's a feature!