On 2012-10-07 00:14, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

I don't know about the rest of DSSS as I only ever used the
'rebuild' component. But as for rebuild, there are problems:

For one thing, 0.76 is generally considered to work much better than
0.77 and the final version, 0.78 (I forget the details, but a lot
of people including me have had problems with 0.78 that never showed up
with 0.76). But despite that, read-made builds aren't available for
0.76. As DSSS is dead none of this is likely to get fixed. And
there's no reason to fix rebuild since RDMD is a superior and non-dead
alternative to rebuild.

I'm still using 0.75, when I'm using it.

Also, rebuild is slow, even with "one at a time" disabled. Try
compiling DVM with the included rebuild-based script and the
RDMD-based one. It takes a fair amount of time with rebuild
(even with "one at a time" off), but with RDMD it's almost instant.

I'm well aware that RDMD is a lot faster than Rebuild.

There's no reason for anyone to use rebuild anymore, and very few
people do.

Maybe not only Rebuild, but DSSS offers more than RDMD. DSSS supports building libraries, build files, generating documentation and other features. With RDMD you must likely need a shell script for the build flags. Shell scripts aren't cross-platform which means you need a .bat file on Windows. That will result in duplication which is not good.

So does RDMD, unless I'm mistaken.

Yes, but there are still reasons to use DSSS for D1, see above.

--
/Jacob Carlborg