On 2012-10-26 11:53, Jens Mueller wrote:

Unfortunately there are no portable solutions. The only thing I found is
symbol versioning. But this is only supported by GNU ld.
These strategic issues need to be solved.

There are many other solutions that can be used to easy this problem. The release process can be improved significantly, this has been discussed before. For example, provide a road map. Then people will know that's coming. Better release scheme. Releases of DMD, D and Phobos shouldn't necessarily be in the same release. We use a semantic version scheme:

http://semver.org/

This will make it easier for developers when they upgrade DMD. It basically let them know if something will break or not.

--
/Jacob Carlborg