On 10/27/12 8:23 AM, Peter Alexander wrote:
Yeah, it's certainly not going to be easy. It's unfortunate that D
adopted the whole C++ style "glorified macros" approach to templates --
it makes it very difficult to reason about (or automate reasoning about)
the semantics of your code.

I think D has reached a sweet spot with restricted templates.

Retrofitting some sort of structure to templates will be a Herculean
task, but I think it has to happen. It is clear to me that the
development process we use now (write the template, try a few
instantiations, pray) is unsustainable beyond simple templates.

It's not clear to me at all. The mechanism works very well and is more expressive than alternatives used by other languages.