On Friday, 2 November 2012 at 20:12:05 UTC, so wrote:
On Friday, 2 November 2012 at 18:34:13 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

I would absolutely say that the gap is getting thinner. I would mostly say that with C++11 C++ has finally started to catch up with D and the rest of the world.

Serious? It doesn't even have a "static if".

.. and not even an array type, or string type, and the template system remains in a semi-useless state in terms of practicality.

But it is true that C++11 has added features that attempt to catch up.

I recall being very eager to try the new improvements out as soon as they were available, yet soon afterwards I find myself investing my time in D.

C++ is permanently bogged down by too much legacy features that are difficult to remove or repair, and I'm convinced that C++ cannot be fixed without a redesign from the ground up.

D has effectively "fixed" C++ already, so I agree with the claims that D can be considered as a good C++ replacement.

Also I expect that D will continue to evolve and improve, so it may be that C++ can never catch up.

--rt