"Right now it is OK to transmit digital voice on voice channels and yet you
can not transmit digital data AND voice on voice channels. Even emergency
data"

We may transmit any mode on any frequency under emergency conditions.  We
may NOT transmit on those unassigned modes/freqs if it is NOT an emergency.

As to the use of SSTV and voice on the same frequency, they are both SSB
transmissions, and SSTV is not data.

"You have done a lot toward at least one of those by your "advancement of
the
radio art" with sofware that you have written. Some of us have fulfilled
other parts of the charter. But we are now eclipsed by new technology and
part of our emergency capability is of much less value than it used to be"

I contend that our emergency capability is much greater than it ever has
been in the past.  Look at the numbers of people taking the ARRL emergency
classes today.  Look at the numbers of people who can send and receive RTTY,
PSK or other digital modes.  Look at the number of people on this list.  10
years ago, those numbers did not approach anything near where they are
today.  10-15 years ago, there were few people checking into CW or SSB/FM
nets to pass traffic.  The last time that amateur radio was really called on
to provide huge numbers of people, was WWII when many went in to the
military and immediately were assigned teaching positons , to train recruits
in communications procedures, especially CW.  Yes, we still ( or is it - Now
we can) provide emergency communications to police, fire, rescue, etc. and
that number is increasing daily.  That particular "requirment" of ham radio
is very well being fullfilled today.
Danny

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/