Message: 19
   Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 21:39:06 -0500
   From: "Rick Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Winlink take over?

Skip,

With all due respect, (and you have considerable), it seems that some of the
arguments may be counter productive and may in some cases affect the
survival of amateur radio.

"We are not a hobby in the eyes of the FCC. The hobby part is only due to a
fortuitous intersection of our interests with what we are chartered by law."

Rick, amateur radio definitely IS a hobby in the eyes of the FCC. The
Commissioners just
re-affirmed that in their recent ruling on Access BPL, Report and Order (R&O)
in ET Docket
04-37:

"We do not see a need to establish Access BPL-free zones around airports,
military bases,
hospitals, police stations and fire stations, as requested by NAC/Amherst.  To
the extent
that these services warrant special protection, they will be afforded
protection through
the excluded bands, exclusion zones and consultation areas specified by NTIA.
We similarly
do not find that amateur radio frequencies warrant the special protection
afforded
frequencies reserved for international aeronautical and maritime safety
operations.  We
note that in many instances amateur frequencies are used for routine
communications and
hobby activities.  While we recognize that amateurs may on occasion assist in
providing
emergency communications, we believe that the general Part 15 provisions and
the specific
provisions being adopted herein for Access BPL operations are sufficient to
protect these
amateur operations. "

Note that the FCC does not even consider amateur radio important enough for
maritime safety
operations to warrant any special protection to amateur frequencies from
interference by
Access BPL, but Winlink stresses maritime safety for their users as one of
their main and
most important functions! It is clearly so stated in the Winlink bulletin.
Ironically, if
the Maritime Radio frequencies ARE protected from BPL, and the amateur
frequencies are not,
then as a maritime safety operation, Winlink would be more reliable in
providing some
maritime safety communications to their users by using the Maritime Radio
frequencies
rather than the ham bands.

"Looking at the five FCC Part 97, basis and purpose for amateur radio, you
won't find anything suggesting a hobby component. What you will find is:

#5 Advancing international good will. Some of us may help a little in that
regard.

#4 The expansion of a trained reservoir of operators and communications. Is
that as important anymore? Probably not like it used to be, but maybe
somewhat important.

#3 Improvement through rules which advance skills in communications and the
technical art of radio. We will look at that below.

#2 Continuation of our ability to advance the radio art which is similar to

and then there is the big one and is the first one on the list ...

#1 Recognizing and enhancing our ability to provide to the public, "a
voluntary and non-commercial communications service "PARTICULARLY WITH
RESPECT TO PROVIDING EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS.""

Rick, the FCC apparently does not consider providing emergency communications a
very "big
one", because the Commissioners wrote, "While we recognize that amateurs may ON
OCCASSION
assist in providing emergency communications...".

"It is only if we continue to advance the radio art and advance our
communications ability and provide something of value to our served agencies
that we will be allowed to even operate on our many frequencies throughout
the spectrum.

The goal that FEMA would like for us to have, is a total RF solution from
anywhere to anywhere else and do it in very rapid real time delivery. We all
know that this is impossible. But what we can do is meld our RF technology
that we do very well with e-mail delivery. If we don't do it, we no longer
have much to offer for message handling in many emergency situations.
Besides, what real ham would not want to insure accurate (and timely)
delivery of messages when even large parts of the internet and other
telecommunications services are down?"

Winlink was recently hit by a virus/worm on their central servers that was so
serious they
had to require all their users to re-register before using the system. This
clearly
illustrates the danger of relying on a central, or "star" network topology.
Kill the "star"
and the system is worthless.

"At this time we do not have enough spectrum to adequately handle much
traffic on RF paths. There are groups (e.g., LinLink) who are working on an
RF only system. In the meantime we have only one system that actually works
and can deliver this powerful communications method. A method not readily
available to emergency organizations and government ... at least not yet."

According to Winlink, all the "health and welfare" traffic on Winlink during
the Indian
Ocean tsunami disaster was handled just as normal email traffic with no need
for any
increase in frequencies. Obviously, in an emergency, much "normal" traffic will
be replaced
by emergency traffic, but the WL2K system is far below being fully utilized and
can already
handle a traffic increase of three to four times before reaching full capacity.

"At the moment, it is illegal to transmit a voice message and then pass
digital traffic on that channel (like they do in MARS). We need to make
these changes so that we are not held back from using our communications
capabilities. Ironically, SSTV folks can operate on voice channels and send
images (pictures) all day long But they can not send "data." Even emergency
data."

I agree, but this has nothing to do with any attempted expansion of unattended
Winlink
email robots, which is the real problem for everyone else. Segmentation by
bandwidth can
solve the problem you mention, but Winlink tries to use segmentation by
bandwidth as an
excuse to increase their domination of the bands solely for the benefit of their
less-than-1% of the FCC-licensed hams. They do not want to have QRM from other
digital
services, so they want to spread all over the bands so they do not have to wait
for a clear
frequency in the sub-bands. Are less-than-1% of the US hams so important that
they should
not have to wait for a clear frequency, but take it away from someone else?
Even at the
busiest times, the traffic load on Winlink is less than 30%, so the current
frequencies are
more than enough. What Winlink wants is not to have to WAIT for a clear
frequency, like
everyone else has to do. It is not necessary to send images over HF to
accomplish most
health-and-welfare communications, and Pactor-III is only 30% faster than
Pactor-II for the
average text email transfers. Just like one or two frequencies accomodate ALL
the SSTV
traffic in the world for exchanging pictures, so just one or two frequencies
for Pactor-III
would do the same, and it is not necessary, OR FAIR, to take up all the
spectrum for a 30%
gain in text email downloading and uploading or exchanging pictures.

"Right now it is OK to transmit digital voice on voice channels and yet you
can not transmit digital data AND voice on voice channels. Even emergency
data.

So lets get our bands divided rationally and base the channel not on the
specific mode, but on the bandwidth. Narrow BW's for CW and other narrow
digital modes, moderate for wider digital modes, and wider still for voice,
digital voice, digital data, etc."

I agree, but only with appropriate restraints on unattended operations, since
they cannot,
and do not, share our limited frequencies.

"I will agree that allowing semi-automatic stations carte blanche access to
large parts of our bands has to be carefully done. We should not give them
all of what they ask for if they are using modes that can transmit on top of
ongoing communications. Pactor modes do seem to be very abusive and probably
we should never have allowed closed and proprietary modes on our bands.

With newer technologies, such as the SCAMP mode (Sound Card Messaging
Amateur Protocol) in the Paclink SCD program, you can NOT transmit on a busy
frequency, unless the human operator intentionally does this by overriding
the software control."

The technology is unproven and Rick Meuthing has already stated that it can be
disabled by
the operator. The SCS modems Winlink uses today already have "busy channel"
detectors for
Pactor, yet it is common to see two or three strong Winlink Pactor stations
fighting it out
for use of a frequency, so either the "busy channel" detectors do not work, or
they have
been disabled.

There really is no "semi-automatic" operation, because the operators turn their
stations
into fully automatic stations by turning frequency control over to the Airmail
software.
Rick refused to make it impossible to permanently disable "autocalling", with
the excuse
that it was legal outside of the FCC jurisdiction. As a boater myself, and also
registered Winlink user, I can tell you that the workload on the skipper is
much too great,
and the noise level too high, to sit in front of the transceiver listening for
activity
before trying to connect to get my email. It is more practical to just have
Airmail
automatically find a station to connect with, so there is enormous incentive
not to listen
first before trying to connect on a frequency, and the prevalence of Pactor
stations
transmitting on top of others shows that to be the case...

"How do I know this? Because I have been one of the beta testers for this new
Winlink mode. To be honest, I was skeptical that it would work all that
well, but anyone who has actually tried the mode will attest to that it
works very well indeed."

I am sure it works OK, and if so, then it should allow more Winlink stations to
use the
sub-bands at the same time, because automatic "frequency skipping" is legal
there, and a
station can just automatically skip around until it finds a clear frequency. It
is similar
to trying to get the floor during a meeting where many people have their hands
up and only
one at a time can speak. You keep raising your hand until you get recognized.

Lets use the SCAMP technology to efficiently use the sub-bands first, and then
petition for
any expansion that can be justified.

"My ideal would be an open, non-proprietary system for amateur radio. While
Winlink is a closed system, with private ownership, the ARRL is making some
arrangements that should be able to insure that we can not be held hostage
by the owners. The ARRL ARESCOM plan has already built Winlink into almost
all of the communication pathways."

"Recently, one of more strident Winlink supporters chastised me recently
because he considers me an old fuddy duddy living in the past due to my lack
of unequivocal support of all aspects of Winlink and because I have actually
dared question some parts of the system. But as he he pointed out:

"The NTS model is being *replaced* with the WL2K system. "

I totally agree that the NTS model is wholefully inadequate and that WL2K is a
fine
replacement for message handling, but in NON-EMERGENCIES only, because a simple
virus or
worm can bring WL2K to its knees, just when it is needed most. So, it is
important to
improve and preserve the NTS system as an RF-only backup to using WL2K for
communications,
and not put all the eggs into one basket, but this is only my personal opinion.

"While I am not totally sold on all aspects of Winlink 2000, we can pick and
chose which portions will help us meet the needs of emergency communications
for our local situations. I admit that the Winlink supporters can be a bit
arrogant if you have ever followed their discussions attacks on anyone even
questioning their system. But then some of the opponents of Winlink 2000
have also misrepresented the system. For those of us in the middle, well ....
we seem to take flak from both sides:)

The fact is that whether Winlink and other systems (and there will be other
systems), will be deployed, will depend upon if they can do the job. But we
hams can not do the job if we don't have enough frequencies to operate
digital modes and are kept from advancing the radio art."

The fact is that for 99% or more of emergency communications, the sub-bands are
large
enough to handle all WL2K communications, if autocalling and "busy channel"
detectors are
properly utilized. If Pactor-III and SCAMP are so much more efficient than
Pactor-II, as
Winlink always claims, then fewer frequencies are needed, because any one
frequency is used
less of the time. However, the truth is that, except for picture transfers,
Pactor-III is
much less efficient than Pactor-II, because it eats up so much bandwidth (five
times the
width of Pacor-II) for a speed gain of only 30%. The truth is that Winlink
pushes to use
Pactor-III only so their less-than-1% of the US hams do not have to wait quite
as long to
download and upload email, and could also send picture attachments. Really
considerate use
of the limited HF frequencies would optmize Pactor-II for text email in the
sub-bands and
allocate one or two channels to Pactor-III and SCAMP for catalog downloads or
image
transfers, since these are used so infrequently compared to text email
transfers.

The survival of ham radio depends on preserving the communications aspects of
the hobby, in
order to attract more young people, who find it fascinating, even if it is
marrying
computers with communications. Just turning the frequencies over to automated
radio email
gateways to the Internet does nothing but benefit a small handfull of people
who need that
remote access. It does nothing to produce trained operators, because anyone
knows how to
send an email these days. Technology has moved on, and data communicators using
the LEO
satellites provides remote email access that is more reliable and more
available worldwide
than WL2K, without taking away the ham frequencies from eveyone else trying to
communicate,
which is the whole point of amateur radio, as Thom points out.

WL2K is a fine system and has its place in ham radio, but only in proportion to
the
less-than-1% of hams that ever need remote email access over radio. The
sub-bands already
equal 3.8% of the hams bands, and should be more than enough if Winlink would
just use
their technologies to fully utilize that 3.8% on a time basis, and wait for a
clear
frequency like everone else has to do.

I appreciate your open-mindedness, and I hope you can suggest that WL2K use the
tools they
already have to more efficiently utilize the sub-bands, because there is just
not enough
room to spread 2400 Hz-wide signals all over the bands. If there were, the FCC
would expand
the phone bands because they are so terribly overcrowded, and the majority of
hams prefer
to communicate with voice, not CW or other digital modes.

73, Skip KH6TY

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/