Hi Steve,

I may have some issues with the Winlink 2000 system but the ones you mention
below are not the ones.

We all know that there are hams who are opposed to changes that are needed
for ham radio to progress. As Skip Teller has pointed out, there are those
at the FCC who do not take amateur radio emergency communication seriously
anymore. I don't extend that to mean that everything is hopeless and we
should just treat it as a hobby until we lose our frequencies. If we do what
he is suggesting, I think most reasonable hams know that we can expect to
lose many of our frequencies in the future.

One of the ONLY possible things we can do to regain support from some at FCC
is to be able to deliver the best possible emergency support we can and get
support from our served agencies. Over time we will have considerable
support from those agencies and rest assured it will get back to DHS/FEMA
who play a big part in this.

That is why the ARRL is finally moving on making some changes and accepting
such an enormous change to the ARES structure. I don't think that emergency
communications has been as big of a consideration at ARRL until the last few
years when they started realizing the long term implications.

Message systems that interface with the internet on HF (and VHF/UHF and
microwave, etc.) are vitally needed, because this is one of the only ways we
can meet the expectations of the agencies we continue to serve, but who are
realizing we are falling far behind advancing technology.

And it is a logical extension of what we have done for many years, e.g.,
phone patches, traffic handling with third party messages, etc. Only it is
much more spectrum efficient due to the throughput speeds. Much faster than
voice channels with large amounts of data and with attachments that are not
practical to handle with the existing NTS/NTSD system. (You still need the
NTS for some kinds of traffic and non e-mail delivery traffic.)

As I have said, I am a supporter of Winlink 2000 with some reservations. But
they are not related to the use of our frequencies as long as safety
measures are taken for semi-automatic modes that will not transmit over the
top of on-going use of the frequency. I do not use P modes such as P2 and P3
so I have limited knowlege of whether they can meet that test. But I do know
without question that Packlink SCD which is the program that uses the SCAMP
mode will not intentionally transmit on a frequency that has EITHER a SCAMP
transmission in progress OR any other mode including a carrier. It won't
even transmit with one very weak signal that I will guarantee a human
operator not looking at the waterfall would often not realize is even there.

There was a comment made that the operator could override this feature and
cause interference. But this is truly a red herring. While an operator can
override this type of channel detection, they would be the same kind of
operator who would manually do it with any other mode. We all know we have
these kinds of poor operators now matter where you are on the bands.
Consider the behavior of contesters who transmit over the top of others.

The virus issue appears to be a misunderstanding by Skip Teller. I can only
let him comment from his perspective since he is the person who made the
claim about a virus being on the WL2K system.  From previous communications
from you, it is my understanding that since its inception, the Winlink 2000
system has had fewer than 5 hours downtime. While that is no guarantee of
future operation without any failures, it looks like a pretty good track
record to me. And I think most reasonable hams would agree.

Where the Winlink folks need to make changes is in their approach toward
anyone making any critique or questioning of their system, weaknesses,
design, etc. There are some people on your group who are very helpful and
want others to succeed in using the WL2K system I have spent some hours on
the phone with these sincere and helpful folks.

Unfortunately, like most groups, there are some really overbearing, abrasive
ones who go out of their way to create unnecessary enemies of WL2K by their
attitude that you either accept WL2K 100% or you can go away.

Also, the attitude that if you do not have all the lastest equipment,
especially the SCS modem, then you need not bother with WL2K. As the
spokesperson for WL2K, one would expect that you would want to take these
folks to task (privately of course) and explain to the them that they are
not helping further the cause. But you have not. And you have in some cases
joined in, adding even more discord. Calling some one a fool for not
accepting something on face value is in itself completely unacceptable to
most reasonable people.

May I suggest that you rethink your position. Perhaps even welcome comments
and criticisms. There should not be anything to fear if the system is a good
system. It will prove itself to people over time. But, no, the average
person is not going to invest their energy and resources into something
without a thorough examination and later perhaps trying some components of
the system and over time deciding whether this will or won't work in their
environment.

Many hams come from different walks of life and many are very knowledgeable
about systems approaches, computer science, technology, etc. and they are
not going to accept things just because some strident person told they have
to because ARRL said so, or you said so. If you knew anything about
marketing you would know that such an attitude is counterproductive and
pushes the thinking people away.