From: Mike/k1eg
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 7:17 PM
Subject: Re: [digitalradio] Re: Advice to the Winlink team

Dr. White I am glad to see that were getting away from a proprietary modem and going to Scamp.  I would like to get in the beta for that if you have a link to it.  The problem in our area is that the local government doesn't have a use for Amateur Radio and doesn't really seem to want them involved so that kind of kills the grant money idea.  This is something that as ARES we are trying to change but as you well know change takes time.  I am in an area where we are blocked by a ridge line so that we can't get a connection to our state EOC,  That is why we need an HF link.  I don't want to use an internet connection to do it because if you look at any major event the internet probably won't be there.  One of the biggest things that has been overlooked IMHO is hardening the system.  As an old war dog RF engineer I see this as our weakest link today.  Even the military is beginning to realize this problem and adjusting for it.  I appreciate your input.

Mike/K1EG