While there are many people on the Winlink group, like most groups, only a
few people actually participate. So it is not more than a few dozens of
people talking over a span of time (not hundreds).

If anyone takes a look at the more detailed messages on the WL2Kemcomm
yahoogroup, they will see that these comments below are directed at those
who have any disagreements with WL2K. Of the sample responses, about half
were directed at other hams. They are not taken out of context in terms of
seeing the *attitude* of the group.

When I first joined the group, initially to get more details and a clear
understanding, I was appalled by Steve's condescension to digital keyboard
modes with his message #458:

"Those people on the discussion groups such as EHam, etc, are lead by the
PSK
"cutesy" mode crowd,..."

At that moment I knew clearly there was a serious attitude problem. And even
took him to task at that point.

>From what I have seen, in every single case that anyone has questioned
anything, they have take considerable heat. Most people won't put up with
that for long. And the majority takes notice of that. Anyone reading the
archives can make up their own minds as to whether the WL2K folks are
supportive of questions about the system.

Steve is correct that intially I was mostly concerned how WL2K would work in
our local area. And we have a very different terrain issue here than other
areas. Some of their ideas would not work here at all but they insisted that
they have "the way."

The more I looked into the WL2K system, the more I began to realize there
are some design limitations that I did not see at first. I am not saying it
is a bad system, but it is not quite as good as it looked at first blush. It
still has lots of good features but you might want to look at these
carefully before spending a lot of limited resources.

I was then asked to serve as a member of the Wisconsin ARES/RACES Task Force
looking into Winlink 2000. We are charged at this time with coming up with a
recommendation by the fall. Asking questions that other task force members
have, and I have, seemed like a reasonable way to gather the information and
make an informed recommendation. I spent many hours looking over the
promotional information and such but you always have a few questions.

They have made it clear that no one can possibly understand how WL2K works
unless that individual spends considerable time and expense to actually
operate the various modes and parts of the system. This is something they
have stressed over and over.

"Regarding the Winlink system, the only opinions of value are from the
people who actually use it."

and Message 3817 "It is a fool that criticizes the taste of a meal while
still reading the menu."

Any thinking person knows that this is utter nonsense. People with an
inquiring mind can figure out how the system works, what the weaknesses are,
and where it can or can not fit into their specific emergency communications
needs. And it is also very helpful to talk to others using the system in
different capacities, and I and others on our task force have.

In fact, we have used several Telpacs with Paclink AGW, we have a new ePMBO
in Milwaukee that is being tested, I have worked with SCAMP testing, our
state EOC has an SCS modem etc. etc. But we are repeatedly told that we do
not know anything about the system because we have not used it. Is this
reasonable? I don't think it is.

When I talked to Steve on the phone, he wanted me to bypass the task force
and get to our SEC to convince him to do it ... now! I tried to explain that
we were doing our best to make a fair and impartial judgement of the WL2K
system as we were charged to do. He seemed not to comprehend this chain of
command and why we would even do this.

Further contact on the WL2Kemcomm group became so contentious that I stopped
asking questions openly to the group (such as the problems with reliability)
and contacted Steve directly via e-mail. And what did he do? He then sent a
return CC: to many of the top leadership in our state! Completely bypassed
the task force. I rather doubt that this was done out of some kind of
accident. I don't show any CC: in my message to him. So now I feel very
hesitant to trust him to act properly.

If we use the same logic as the WL2K folks and accept that the only opinions
of value are from people who use it, then how can the ARRL Board make an
informed decision?

All they can do is make the best call they can based on the information they
are given.

Considering that they are getting their information from a committee that
was heavily weighted with the owners of Winlink 2000, a reasonable person
would say that things are a bit one-sided.