Dave,

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Bernstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> The botched transition from VB to VB.net is one of Microsoft's
> larger errors, on par with designing its operating systems without
> competent regard for security.

Just curious... what was botched about it?  I haven't used VB.net for
any "real" applications, but my impression was that Microsoft
purposely chose to not make it easy to take a large project in VB and
just re-compile in VB.net because they valued the chance to "clean
up" a lot of what wasn't implemented as well as it might have been
(e.g., classes!) in VB.

I don't even think someone being objective at Microsoft would
advocate that everyone _should_ be porting all their apps from VB to
VB.net; I figured they were just hoping that all new apps would be
written in VB.net.

Truth be told, though, given that all the .net languages end up
running on the same CLR, as far as I can tell all of VB.net, C#.net,
etc. all seem to look very much the same!

> In case anyone's wondering, there is no threat to existing
> applications written in VB - they will continue to run correctly in
> future versions of Windows.

Microsoft isn't THAT dumb.  Where my mother works, their main
application is WordPerfect 4.2 and 5.0 (old DOS programs) that
they're now happily running on Win2K and WinXP boxes.

---Joel

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/