Dave,

You wrote:

"***WinLink's use of scanning seems comparable to a DX station's use
of split frequency operation to spread out its callers. Many of
those callers continue to transmit while the DX station is working
someone on another frequency, and thus cannot possibly respond.
While this is not great operating technique, no one accuses those
callers of holding their frequency. The DX station defines the
pileup's upper and lower bounds, and thus the range of frequencies
rendered effectively unuseable by anyone else.****

I am not "accusing" the Winlink client of intentionally holding the frequency,
but only
that the frequencies are *advertised* with the presumption that they are
available, when,
in fact they are not. The frequency is sometimes being "held" accidentally, but
unnecessarily, because scanning is used, *and the frequencies are ADVERTISED*,
giving the
mistaken impression that they are always available.

Since Winlink is a "published" network, and is asking the ARRL to petition the
FCC for
twice as many frequencies as they can even utilize at one time, they should be
denied any
request for access to any more frequencies than an independent traffic load
analysis would
indicate, *without any scanning*, which is at least HALF what they currently
use anyway.

I don't think the radio amateur community as a whole agrees to sacrifice
unreasonable for
the operating convenience of less-than-1% of the US hams, and only 0.3% of hams
world wide,
just for a minor increase in convenience for the less-than-1%. They are
probably willing to
grant Winlink spectrum to dominate (although they rather than Winlink SHARE
like everyone
else), but only in proportion to their less-than-1% size compared to the entire
radio
amateur population. The sub-bands already provide access for FOUR TIMES the
spectrum that
Winlink would be entitled to, so why does Winlink push to access to the
majority of the
radio amateur spectrum at the expense of 99% of the radio amateurs?

Is there something wrong with this picture?

\>    From: "Rick Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
\> Skip,

> Anyone attempting to connect to a PMBO is really no different than any other
> ham calling CQ in the hopes of receiving a reply, except that in the case of
> having a PMBO potentially on frequency it is more likely that a contact can
> be made. It is dramatically more efficient than any other third party
> traffic.
>
> As far as your suggestions on scanning, are you suggesting that each PMBO
> have only one frequency and then to make up for the need to have many
> different frequencies available to meet the constantly varying propagation
> conditions, you would need to have many more PMBO systems in operation?

Yes, the *majority* of scanning PMBO's are scanning two frequencies ON A SINGLE
BAND, where
the propagation is the same for each frequency, so propagation doesn't even
enter into the
matter.

For those who scan several bands, propagation is different for each band, as we
know, so
the PMBO is more likely to connect with a caller than if he did not scan
different bands.
However, propagation is not the same for all callers, so those who call where
they can be
heard, while the PMBO is busy on another band, is still taking up spectrum in
vain that
someone else can use. Is this a responsible way for less-than-1% of the hams to
be allowed
to operate and a basis for taking away frequencies from 99% to allow domination
by
less-than-1%?

> My main concern is emergency communications planning and deployment so I do
> have a bias toward that end and I hope that most hams who want to see
> amateur radio survive also have a similar "bias."
>
> One of the things that I have tried to promote to the WL2K controller has
> been to increase the number of HF PMBO stations. (And for that matter the
> vhf/uhf only PMBO's as well). Especially for the lower bands 80 and maybe
> even 160, which will not tend to cause interference during daylight hours
> since signals do not travel as far and those bands are very lightly used.
> These new PMBO's could use the new SCAMP mode to eventually replace much or
> hopefully all of the Pactor modes someday.
>
> If you had an HF PMBO at least every 100 miles or so, they could handle
> traffic without requiring the use of the higher frequencies and that would
> free up those longer range frequencies for blue water and emergency traffic
> folks.

If the spectrum needed by the Winlink network would be limited to half of what
it is today
if scanning were not used, then that is a problem for the "Winlink Network
Administrator"
to solve by adding more PMBO stations.

Rick, look at it like this - if the number of PMBO stations doubled, and
scanning were
eliminated, the same number of frequencies used today by Winlink would remain
the same, but
those frequencies would be available for everyone else up to twice as much time
as they are
today. I say "twice as much", because it is obvious that stations are not
always calling
for connects when the PBMO is busy elsewhere, but it must be a high percentage,
because
MOST of the QRM we suffer from unattended Pactor mailboxes is from stations
repeatedly
calling for a connect and never achieving one. When they are eventually
successful, that
means propagation WAS in their favor, but the PMBO did not reply because it was
busy
somewhere else.

> Since Winlink 2000 is administered by one person for the entire worldwide
> system, they have indicated they do not have the ability to add many
> additional stations.

As I said previously, THAT IS A WINLINK ADMINISTRATION PROBLEM, not something
that 99% of
the hams should have to sacrifice for. SCANNING WASTES HALF OF THE SPECTRUM
THAT WINLINK
DOMINATES, AND FOR NO SIGNIFICANT BENEFIT TO WINLINK.

> Because WL2K is a proprietary system, they do not want any redundant system
> to "compete" with their system, even though it would be far better for the
> amateur community, and for emergency communications, to have many such
> systems in place that are not directly connected to each other. If one WL2K
> system failed, you would have other options. And yes, the chance of this
> happening needs to be placed in the calculus of emergency planning.

If the HF Packet people could get their act together and provide a reliable,
simple to use,
RADIO alternative to Winlink, that might be a good option. I have expressed
this opinion to
the Packet crowd and suggested to them that Winlink is by far the best choice
for everyday
traffic handling and that they would best accept being a backup system. My
problem with
Winlink is NOT the Winlink system, as a system, which I have often gone on
record as
admiring, but their refusal to equitably share the spectrum with others, AND
SIMPLY OPERATE
IN A SEPARATE, CONTIGOUS SPACE, just like CW, PSK31, RTTY, SSTV, and Phone
people do and
always have done, by silent agreement, instead of insisting (by plan!) to
intermix with all
other digital modes and cause random QRM which nobody can escape, because they
do not know
where to operate to avoid it.

> By the way, I did not see any retraction of your claim that the WL2K had
> been infected by a virus, when in fact it had not. We need to keep a
> balanced perspective on what is or is not real. Because of such emotional
> views on this subject it seems that each side overstates the facts so that
> those of us in the middle have to try and figure out what is really true.

"Retract" my "claim"! ????? There is nothing to retract! Read for youself what
K4CJX posted
on the Winlink network, and the DRASTIC action that had to be taken. If it
happened once,
it can happen again, because Winlink is accessible by anyone, even from a
"throwaway" Yahoo
account, so anyone can easily disable the entire network if they wish to do so
and know
how. Note that K4CJX has publicly denied that Winlink ever had a virus problem.
I hope you
were not one of the ones taken in:

*********************

"IMPORTANT ALL-USER UPDATE, March 5, 2005.

The Central Mail Server (CMBO) is being attacked by new virus's from mail
address books that contain Winlink.org addresses. These Winlink.org
addresses are attempting to put virus's back into the system. In addition,
there are approved Internet email addresses, which are also contained in
address books of infected computers that are making an attempt to enter
the Winlink system. We are catching an average of 1,500 of these attempts
daily. NO FUN!

Effective Tuesday, March 8, at 00:00 UTC, in order to protect, you, the
user, as well as your email recipients, we are going to delete ALL the
current entries in the Acceptance list, and start a new list.  To make
sure your favorite email recipients are contained in the approved acceptance
list, be certain to send them an email AFTER 00:00 UTC on March 8 or thereafter.
You may use multiple "TO" and "CC" addresses. It is a good way to also
insure that you are sending to a live and proper address."

Good thing this did happen in a real emergency, or perhaps the Winlink servers
could not
handle all the connect requests to re-register. It looks like a simple DNS
attack could
totally disable the Winlink system, so it really would be a good idea, from the
emergency
planning perspective, to have a fully-funtional backup system by someone else,
wouldn't it!

73, Skip  KH6TY