I think it is a matter of signal cleanliness....use
the lowest power that allows the communication, with a
clean signal.

In PSK, as well as in SSB voice, and many digital
modes with an envelope (I am not referring to constant
envelope modes as RTTY) a clean signal is a must to
conserve bandwidth. It is not a matter of power only.
If you must make the contact, switch on your amplifier
and run it at LOW POWER, that is, low enough to have a
powerful but CLEAN signal with low IMD.

Nevertheless, the audio from your TNC or soundcard
shall never overload your transceiver input. Linearity
shall be mantained from the signal source up to the
antenna, no matter if you run milliwatts or full legal
power.

Happy QSOs,

73 de Jose, CO2JA

http://mail.yahoo.com

The K3UK DIGITAL MODES SPOTTING CLUSTER AT telnet://208.15.25.196/
More info at http:///www.obriensweb.com