First, I have not used MFSK lately.  However the FEC add-on to this via Olivia seems to make it better in very weak conditions, seems to handle QSB better than plain MFSK.  I also found early MFSK16 application  a tad harder to lock on to that I would like , Olivia is very easy.  Perhaps MFSk16 is easier to tune these days.

Andy K3UK

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2005 1:47 PM
Subject: [digitalradio] Olivia and other modes, etc.

Andy (and anyone else of course),

What do you see as the advantages of Olivia compared to MFSK16, which thus far,  I have found to be the best medium wide bandwidth keyboard mode?

On another note, I have tried the MultiPSK program recently and although it is not a finessed program, due to the extreme clutter design, the program does seem to work well.

I was visiting a friend who is a digital guy like me for decades, and he felt that no other program can decode CW as well. Being the skeptic that I am, I tried it and he appears to be correct. It really does work amazingly well in being able to read even fairly difficult fists. Similar to the way a human interpolates the poor timing of some opearators.

On still another note, I keep hoping for development of sound card ARQ modes for serious messaging use that can operate cross platform if possible to reach the necessary critical mass of hams.