As long as they hold valid licenses, boaters should enjoy the same
priveleges as any other amateur. Using HF radio to pass messages is
entirely reasonable; RTTY and AMTOR ops have been doing this for a
long time, and the recent explosion of sound card modulation schemes
and protocols has invigorated our hobby. In my view, there's nothing
wrong with semi-automatic or automatic station operation -- as long
as it's reliably conducted in a way that won't QRM other users.

   73,

       Dave, AA6YQ

--- In digitalradio@yahoogroups.com, "Roger J. Buffington"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dave Bernstein wrote:
>
> >In the US, there is currently no restriction on semi-automatic
> >operation with bandwidths of 500 hz or less, but semi-automatic
> >operation with bandwidths greater than 500 hz is restricted to
> >designated sub-bands.
> >
> >The ARRL proposal, if adopted, would eliminate the current
> >restriction on semi-automatic operation with bandwidths greater
than
> >500 hz. It is this aspect of the ARRL proposal that I (and
evidently
> >many others) find unacceptable.
> >
> >   73,
> >
> >       Dave, AA6YQ
> >
> My impression is that most Pactor unattended activity is generated
by
> boaters, many of whom have no interest in amateur radio other than
as a
> way to send emails over radio.  The SCS Pactor website has become
far
> less amateur-oriented and more commercial oriented over the past
several
> years, in my opinion at least.  I wonder if a good argument exists
that
> most of this activity is not really amateur radio and does not
belong on
> the ham bands.
>
> ARRL has always had a bias towards traffic handling which I
suppose
> explains their pro-robot stance.
>
> de Roger W6VZV

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/ELTolB/TM

Looking for digital mode software?  Check the quick commerical free link below
http://www.obriensweb.com/digimodes.html